Monday, August 23, 2010

Creamy Chicken and Broccoli

I've obviously taken an insanely long hiatus from my blog.  No one told me that pregnancy would cause me to never want to cook again (let alone cook healthy foods).  During my first trimester and half of my second trimester, I was plagued with food aversions and couldn't even touch raw meat because it made me so nauseous.

Thankfully, I'm back to normal and starting to cook again because I feel great.  Starting to cook healthily because at 28 weeks pregnant, I've gained more than what I wanted to gain through my entire pregnancy, ugh. 

I didn't really want to go grocery shopping this weekend but wanted to make something healthy from what we had at home.  We had a lot of really random things.  I was in the middle of a cleaning spree, so crock pot cooking sounded great.  No pictures because I didn't take any.

  • 4 frozen chicken breasts
  • 1 bag of frozen broccoli
  • 1 can of 98% fat free condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 3 slices reduced fat Provolone cheese
  • 1 wedge mini Babybel cheese
  • 1/4 cup Reduced Fat Kraft shredded parmesan cheese (shake cheese as I like to call it)
  • Salt/pepper/spices to taste
Yes, I know the ingredients are totally random (especially the cheeses), but we seriously had very little food in our house and these were my only options.

Put the chicken breasts in the bottom of the crock pot.  Layer the broccoli on top of that.  Then pour the soup over it.  I left the soup in condensed form and figured that the moisture from the frozen chicken and broccoli would thin it out, which it did.  Then I just put the cheese on top and cooked on low. 

Once my chicken started to cook, I cut each breast into fours for faster cooking and mixed everything together.  I added some Mrs. Dash table blend spices and cooked until the chicken was cooked through.

I thought that the sauce was a little runny, so I mixed together some corn starch and water and poured it in to thicken it.  It did the trick!  We served over a box of Parmesan rice and it was so good and perfect.  The Parmesan rice really added just the right amount of cheesiness!  Cook time was about 3 hrs, but I checked it a lot - my crock pot is kind of wonky and cooks faster than most other crock pots.

No comments:

Post a Comment