Saturday, March 13, 2010

Spinach Stuffed Turkey Tenderloin

I'm kind of torn about this recipe.  It tastes really freaking good, don't get me wrong, but turkey breast tenderloin is pretty expensive.  My husband isn't much of a foodie.  He usually just shovels dinner in his mouth and truly views food as nothing more than fuel for his body most of the time.  That makes it hard to justify spending almost $10 for two tenderloins when I can stuff chicken breast with the stuffing and get a similar flavor.  For now, it's something we'll save for every-once-in-awhile meals. 

  • 4 (6-8oz) turkey tenderloins
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 cup reduced fat Parmesan cheese topping
  • 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
  • Pam cooking spray
Stuffing:
  • 10 oz box frozen spinach, thawed and drained
  • 8 oz chicken breast, raw/skinless/boneless
  • 1 egg white
  • 2 tsp chopped basil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp ground red pepper
 In food processor, combine all ingredients for stuffing.  Process until smooth.  Refrigerate until ready to use.

Slice turkey tenderloins in half horizontally, cutting it to but not through the other side.  Lay flat like a book.  Pound with meat mallet to flatten evenly.

Spread stuffing on tenderloin evenly.  Roll up, jellyroll style.  Lay seam side down in a baking dish that has been sprayed with Pam.  Add about 1/4" water in bottom of baking dish.

In small bowl, mix all remaining ingredients (salt, pepper, paprika, Parmesan, breadcrumbs).  Sprinkle on top of the tenderloins.  I also spray them with Pam at this point to help the breading stick a little better.

Bake uncovered at 400F for 40-45 minutes or until cooked through.  Honestly, I usually pull these out at the 35 minute mark and slice each roll into 4 pieces so that I can make sure that they're cooked all the way without overcooking.  I need to be able to see the color of the inside of the meat when i can't use a meat thermometer.  Overcooked turkey is a pretty big bummer for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment